Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Atomic Tangerine

A&E felt that
Graphic violence could stay in
But bleeped coarse language.

I was watching A&E's The Andromeda Strain mini-series tonight and found it very odd that, as an A&E co-production, they were fine making the mini-series with some coarse language, but that they weren't fine with showing it without bleeping it. (Okay, it technically wasn't bleeped, it was blanked.) Furthermore, they blanked quite mild language common on network TV. Don't worry, though. Unpleasant scenes of violence (prehaps most notably, a suicide by chainsaw) was apparently permissable.

In the end, I'm undecided about this remake. A
lot of updating and story expansion going on. I do have an affinity for the old movie that won't leave because of a hot new version. In any case, I preferred the book to either. (Surprise.) I remember reading it in a single day years ago while at a cottage with the family.

Edited to add: Oh, I forgot to mention that they stopped bleeping/blanking in Part II. Funny.

No comments: