Thursday, March 13, 2008

Tim Towers

Ready for compost:
Towering stacks of tea cups,
Like castles in sand.



This is the collection of Tim Hortons tea cups which have now finally come home with me to be composted. Many don't know that these paper cups can be composted in our local green bin program, and since the service isn't provided at work (and since they can't be put in our "garden composter" there), I collect them to bring home for compost. Landfill is bad! The thing is, I let them pile up quite a bit. This is the today's trip's worth: 198 cups. BUT WAIT! In my defense, since I order my tea clear (the tea version of black), they always double-cup it because it's pretty pickin' hot, so it's really only 99 cups of tea.

7 comments:

Sonya said...

As much as I'm DYING to comment on the waste that goes with driving to Tim Horton's and using these cups in the first place (and even more appauled that you don't use a travel mug that would also eliminate the temperature issue), I will refrain.

I am much more compelled to comment on the insanely clean dining room table! Is everything ok???

Jerome said...

I knew someone would talk about the travel mug. So let me discuss that.

I am trying to gear up to the use of a travel mug. Really I am. I won't even get into the fact that I would undoubtedly leave it behind at work more often than not. After all, once a week I have to collect the numerous mugs and thermoses that from around the place.

The real reason, though, is that I struggle with the whole sanitary issue of having mugs going back and forth across the counter in these places. I KNOW IT'S NOT LOGICAL since other people are doing it, and it's their dirt that I should really be worried about, but it's sort of like having garbage passed back and forth to the hot water/coffee machine. I'm glad to at least know that at the Hortons I go to some mornings, the tea pourer is a different person than the money taker.

Sean Newbury said...

At work they replaced all the Styrofoam cups for the coffee/tea machine to a box of large white mugs. Every small step helps... even if it's keeping those cups from the land fill and recycling them... at least it's better than seeing them on the sides of roads and on sidewalks.

Good for you Mr Jerome!

Jerome said...

Thank you for your support, MK!

Jerome said...

(Incidentally, my apologies for the poor quality of the picture.)

Sonya said...

Yes, but NONE of this explains a clean dining room table, I'm still pretty shaken by the sight of it...

And by the way, you can barely see out the back window of my car these days with the bag of drive-through "empties" that I'm planning on getting around to sorting and recycling some day. So as usual Pot, Kettle says hi!

Jerome said...

Let's not even begin to talk about cars...